Sunday, 27 September 2009

No rest for the pain patient

I've just this weekend returned from a glorious weeks holiday in Spain. It was bliss - the heat was great, the food was better, and I was off my feet for most of the week! Normally being off my feet would help any hip aches and pains, but not this time. And arriving back into the beginning of autumnal UK weather yesterday has left my hip joint screaming at me (because I can't think of anything else that could have set it off? I haven't been out anywhere except the supermarket).

I'm beginning to think that I might have a bigger problem that anticipated. I know I will just have to wait until I see my orthopod and there's no point in speculating until the point where I wind myself up mentally. There's not much to be done about it right now - except rest and light exercise (time to put the dancing shoes away til next time eh? ;o)). It's in these moments that I just want to ask him to resurface or replace the joint because I'm fed up to the back teeth of the constant ache (inbetween the severe pain of putting your full weight through the joint when walking). I'm stubborn and refuse to use an aid - it has crossed my mind, but I also know that its a slippery slope to becoming dependent.

I was given a 70% chance of my PAO (periacetabular osteotomy) working out for me long term - 4 yrs on and I'm thinking I may fall in the 30%. I was informed that the procedure of reshaping the femur head in addition to the PAO has only been done in a handful of people in the world and in the last 5 yrs (prior to my surgery in 2005). But the PAO couldn't have been done without reshaping the femur head as it had aquired a strange compressed ovaloid shape, presumably from the hip socket being so shallow and flattening it slowly over time. Also, if I didn't correct the postition on the socket within the pelvis, I might not be eligible for a resurfacing in the future as often a hip dysplasia requires the resurfacing ball and socket combined with a pin (see picture). As far as I know the pin to to aid stability and allow bone growth into that area, thus covering the prostheses better.

Fingers crossed something can be done when I visit my orthopod. The way it feels right now, I'd probably agree to anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment