Tuesday 17 November 2009

Consultation day

The day I've been waiting for, the results and 'what's next'. I've been having strange dreams recently about my orthopod turning round to me and saying 'there's nothing wrong, what are you complaining about!'. Well, there's most definitely something wrong. There's a serious lack of cartilage over the major load-bearing region. The pelvis shape looks distorted on the right side, that's due to the pelvic osteotomy I had (there are two remnants of titanium pins lodged in the pelvis too).


The lack of cartilage is due to problem number two (or is this a 'which came first, the chicken or the egg?). A proliferation of osteophytes (bone cells/spurs) on the back of the femur head. This has caused the femur head to protrude forward away from the socket and, as the new bone is nobbly, it's worn down the cartilage.

What's next? A hip resurfacing. I have to call to make an appointment but the earliest available time would be easter apparently. I've also been offered a hip block in the mean time - I said I'd think about it. I think it would probably be a good idea though given that treatment could be months away. Scary, giant needles! (have your pelvis realigned no problem, giant needle eeeeeeeeek!). I think I'm just relieved to now know exactly why I'm in so much pain (and what's making that funny crunchy noise....mmmm) and that treatment is on the horizon.

1 comment:

  1. The hip block is nothing to fear! They use anaesthetic and it's over in a flash. I chose not to look at the needles and I only glanced at the monitor to see what was happening. It was fine.
    Fascinating images of your hips. Is the last one a CT scan?

    ReplyDelete