Tuesday 16 March 2010

One week post surgery

Well, it's a little over a week now since the BHR surgery and I cannot believe how well the recovery is going ever since I left hospital on friday. I suppose if this was my first hip surgery then I'd just think this was all normal. But having had the mother of all hip surgeries with the periacetabular osteotomy....this is a BREEZE by comparison! Where I am today in terms of mobility I hadn't reached at 6 weeks after the PAO. Amazing!

So I've been walking my socks off really. Me and my mum have taken wee trips to very nice spots to walk for an hour or so. We walked by Loch Lomond shores yesterday and just in Helensburgh today. Every time I've come back I've iced the leg which has helped with muscle stiffness. When I walked on saturday my right thigh tightened up over night and was a solid lump on sunday! Took a bit of massaging and gentle walking to relieve it. I haven't really taken any pain medication in the last couple of days either which has surprised me, and I've been able to sleep on my left side. My back is still suffering from all the sleeping on my back last week, so it's been nice to lay on my side.

The incision site is a little itchy as it heals, which drives me mad as I just want to scratch it sooooo much! I daren't touch it though, I mean, those staples looked vicious - all 30 odd of them! I'll have the pleasure of their removal next monday... joy!

1 comment:

  1. From what you write, I am so happy that your recovery is going much faster and so well. That is good for you. And you should feel proud. And deserve it!

    ReplyDelete