Sunday 25 April 2010

Even my eyebrows hurt!

Okay. Swimming and gymming. I have been 7 times in the 10 days since I joined up and its been great! Even though parts of my body are reminding me of their existence! My hip on the other hand is getting stronger and stronger, and its the one body part that doesn't ache.

I'm doing about half an hour on the gym bike and an hour in the pool, including hydrotherapy exercises in the pool. Mr. O's letter (for me to give to the gym is they're worried about my using the machines in recovery) does sorta say I could be doing a lot more, but honestly, I don't think I'd be able to move the next day if I did all that!! I mean, I have the physiotherapy exercises to do at home too! I figure if I include one more machine each week then I might actually be able to function. I went to work last monday and couldn't use my upper arms and shoulders after all of the swimming last weekend!! My hips were fine! I don't know if I can keep up with this bionic hip...

A couple of other completely fantastic side effects from these workouts - I have a lot more energy and I'm sleeping very well. I'm sleeping more and more on my op side now, not for long periods but I find I'm just rolling over onto that side naturally in the night.

My ROM is still increasing. I still can't get my sock on my right foot yet without my putter-onner but I can get my knee almost to my chest so I can reach to the underneath of my foot....but its still not quite enough to put a sock on or clip my toenails yet. It's getting there. It'll be 7 weeks post-op on monday so all of this is remarkable.

I am, of course, still using one crutch for walking any distance. The limp is still prominent but I can tell its beginning to get better. I've started to use a cane indoors, I haven't quite transitioned to using it outside yet as I've never had to use one before and it takes some getting used to! It was a suggestion by Mr.O to get myself a collapsible cane so as I get stronger I can walk for longer periods of time unaided and I can just take the cane out my handbag to use when I get tired. So I got myself a funky purple spotty one from http://www.switchsticks.com/ , if you've gotta use one, make it stylish!

Anyhoo, I've just come back from the health club and I need to scrape myself up off this sofa (again) so I can go make some dinner ..... ;o)

1 comment:

  1. Bex, so good to hear that you are doing so well. I'm so proud of you. Happy Healing!!!
    Hugs, Ina

    ReplyDelete