Saturday 30 January 2010

Inspiration

I found a patient video online earlier that just makes me want my BHR tomorrow. I hope its even half as good for me:

http://www.surfacehippyinfo.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=350&Itemid=30

I did winch a little watching the part where he gets out of bed for the first time as that still evokes the strongest memory for me after my PAO. The physio's came round that morning, after 3 days of lying flat in bed being pumped full of morphine and goodness know's what else. They manhandled me into a sitting position (well, I couldn't do it myself) and lowered my legs over the side of the bed. I wasn't in any pain, the epidural was still in and morphine was still swimming about my system. I couldn't feel anything below my waist on the right hand side and I was completely freaked out by it - and the zimmer frame right in front of me (!!). At that point I promptly threw up and started crying. Apparently this is normal and in hindsight, thats the worst part, not the surgery, but the first time out of bed.

I am being honest when I say I'm not nervous about the surgery. But until now, I just haven't mentioned that I'm nervous about the first time out of bed. I survived once, I'll survive again!! And if this patient is anything to go by, it's not going to be 3-4months on crutches! :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment